Archived "What's New" Posts From 2005
This page is an archive of old posts from 2005 on the "What's New" page. The What's New Page doesn't exist anymore, as we have created a blog to host this kind of website content. Please visit our blog using the link in the main menu.
12/1/05 - Today is the first day of my "Spirit of Christmas Sale" that will go on through January 1st, 2006. I decided that I must include the name "Christmas" to my sale event, even though it may offend certain people. I hope that it doesn't offend you. In my opinion some of the advertising I have seen from stores lately is ridiculous. One brochure that I saw recently from a large store said, "Get in the Spirit", but failed to mention what the "spirit" was and why getting in the spirit was necessary. My sale is a Christmas sale, and not a "holiday" sale or a "Winter" sale. As a Christian, I will not hide the true reason for the season, which is the birth of Jesus Christ. I don't force my customers to pray with me before I sell them a sewing machine, and I don't charge non-Christians extra for my merchandise. I just fail to understand why somebody would be offended that I call my sale a Christmas sale. If anything, I and other Christians are the ones that should be offended that our Christmas holiday has been nullified by retailers who are afraid to not make this years profit as big as it can possibly be. Is it really necessary to be politically correct about a Christian holiday? Maybe the retailers who don't want to offend people with Christmas slogans should just not have sales at all. They will, no doubt, be taking the day off on Christmas!
So, now that I have finished my rant, I will tell you the details of my Christmas sale. Just about everything in the store will be on sale through January 1, 2006.
- Sewing machines.................. 20% off MSRP
- Embroidery machines........... 20% off MSRP
- Sergers............................... 20% off MSRP
- Sewing cabinets................... 10% off
- Christmas fabrics & kits........ 40% off (limited to stock on hand)
- Books................................. 15% off
- Patterns.............................. 15% off
- Embroidery software............ 10% off MSRP
- Embroidery designs.............. 10% off
- Notions................................ 15% off
The discounts are especially nice on sewing machines, and don't forget that I will price match with any local southern California dealer (who is not going out of business). So I hope I will see you soon. If not, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
11/08/05 - It's been a while since I said anything about what's new here at my store. I've arranged for a new teacher to come in and start teaching heirloom sewing. The first classes are block of the month type classes, and will be starting up in January. Our new teacher is Georgianne Beebe, and I know you will be very excited when you see the amazing work that she does. See our classes and events page for more details and some sample pictures of her work!
Oklahoma Embroidery (OESD) has just sent us an update for our embroidery take-out system. The new update allows our customers to build their own packs of embroidery designs. No longer will a customer be forced to buy a complete pack of embroidery designs when they really only wanted 1 design in a pack. These new packs will be available in either 10 or 20 design selections. Suggested retail for the 10 pack is $49, and $69 for the 20 pack! We need to order in the special CDs that these packs will burn on, but it shouldn't be long before we can offer these packs to you!
Last but not least, we have another used machine in the store. It's actually my mom's old Bernina 131. It's in great shape (after all it was my mom's machine, and I have done all the service on it). It's a great full size machine, and fits in a price range that makes it an excellent choice for even a beginning sewing or quilting student.
9/29/05 - The new Janome Memory Craft 6600P is here! This long awaited machine is on our sales floor, and ready to demonstrate! This is the Memory Craft 6500P's big sister, and has some great new features compared to the 6500P! I'm sure this new 6600P will be another international best seller. I sewed on it this morning and was very pleased with the built in walking foot. I've never sewn with a walking foot that was so smooth. No clanking or loud noises here, in fact you wouldn't even know it was on! The machine also has a start/stop button that the 6500P didn't have. You can sew without the foot control using this start/stop button. As if these new features were not already enough, Janome has figured out how to include it's exclusive 7 point feed dog system in this new machine. On the 6500P, Janome had said that the 7 point feed dog was not possible to include due to the geometry of the built in thread cutter. Janome continues to amaze us with their machines and technology. We hope that you might be so fortunate to possibly own one of these machines someday. We have 2 of these new 6600P machines in stock. If you want one you should probably act fast, they are on backorder status with Janome right now. When these 2 are gone it might be a while before backorders are filled. Through December Janome is advertising that the 6600P will come with a luggage system. This promotion is almost too good to refuse. Come see our most recent arrival today!
9/12/05 - The new Bernina artista 630E and artista 640E, that's what's new! These brand new machines from Bernina are loaded with all of the features and quality you have loved about Bernina machines, but have some exciting new attributes. Below is an organized list of what makes the 630E and 640E so special. Nothing sews like a Bernina, Nothing!
- color screen
- usb stick (mass storage device) memory
- stitch animation on screen
- new for artista - BSR foot w/ zigzag
- zigzag for thread painting
- zig zag for raw edge applique
- seamless speed control
- start/stop button - machines can sew without the foot control
- needle plate has inch markings
- editor lite software included with embroidery units
- reinforced handle
- quickset needle position buttons
- stitch combinations - "combi mode"
- viewable with eyeglasses icon
- binoculars icon shows older style devided stitch type view
- combinations can be saved in memory
- megahoop works with these new artistas
What comes with the machine
- large slide table and seam guide
- FHS (Free Hand System) aka "knee lifter lever"- drops feed dogs/raises presser foot
- accessory box - snaps to rear cover - "snap and go"
- new 26 foot for embroidery - holds fabric down better during upward needle movement for improved embroidery results
- soft carrying case
- editor lite included when purchased with embroidery unit
- feet packages
- owners manual
- standard Bernina warranty
- mastery classes
Machine set up overview
- display screen - new welcome text
- display calibration - touch screen settings
- user level operating system updates!
- custom sewing settings - custom speed settings
- audio settings ( on-loud / on-medium / off )
- language preferences
- software version can be checked through user interface
- reset to factory settings at the touch of a button ( sewing / embroidery / both )
- delete user data from these different areas
- dealer information screen - never lose your dealers information again!
- centerally located touch screen
- animated messages
- Bernina's exclusive design rescaling - increase / decrease embroidery design size by 50% without compromising design quality
- USB memory stick ( mass storage device )
- total control over every stitch ( stitch width / stitch length / needle position )
- temporary altered stitch - immediately saves settings of stitch settings
- very easy to use
- expandable from sewing to embroidery
- benefit to crafter - needle position can get into tight spots / only Bernina can move their needle position on every stitch
- seamless stitch width adjustments while sewing - perfect for custom satin stitching
- machines are very quiet
- personalize your stitch package ( personal program )
- stitch pattern controls
- pattern begin
- pattern end
- mirror image
- elongation stitch
- benefit to stretch a pattern to complete a hem, etc.
- auto buttonholer has on screen sizing
- manual buttonholes with foot #3
- nice to fix store bought clothes that are of poor quality
- BSR foot (optional)
Differences between the 630 and 640
- 640 has long stitch
- 640 has different security program
- 640 is 9mm
- 640 has auto thread tension
- 640 has the thread cutter
- 640 has memory sub devide
- 640 has the lower thread sensor
- 630e foot package (1, 2, 3, 3A, 4, 5, 9, 20, 26)
- 640e foot package (1C, 2A, 3A, 3C, 4, 5, 9, 20C, 26)
- 640 splits satin/fill density
- 630 has 70 built in embroidery designs, 5 fonts
- 640 has 90 built in embroidery designs, 7 fonts
- zooming function
- standard edit (rotate / rescale / mirror / position / check / center)
- warning indication in layout if design is outside stitchable area, but machine will sew what is in the stitchable area anyways??? (just in case you wanted it that way)
- unlike 200e, color advance does not require pushing center bar
- operating system program extension for megahoop
- seamless megahoop design
- editor lite comes with 5 embroidery alphabets
- OESD branded USB stick is read only
- Bernina branded USB stick is read/write
- generic sticks may or may not work, and are not supported by Bernina/OESD technical support
- sticks read by machine in .EXP embroidery format only
- ETO will include USB sticks soon
No flash type card slot!
- customers with old artista "cards" will not be able to use them in the 630 or 640 without a Bernina reader/writer or magic box AND a physical USB connection to their PC with editor lite or greater loaded.
8/26/05 - We finally received our Janome Memory Craft 11000 this week! It's many great features include a 9¼ inch arm, a 8x8 inch embroidery area, a huge high resolution screen, USB stick compatibility, and many more great attributes. This machine is so amazing. Even though we are a multi-line dealer, I have to honestly say that right now this Janome Memory Craft 11000 is the king of machines. Come by the shop for a demonstration, and see the future of home sewing and embroidery!
8/07/05 - I just got back from Janome Institute in New Orleans, and all I can say is WOW! You are in for a BIG surprise when their new machines come out. The official webcast for the unveiling of their new top of the line machine is set for August 20th, and you don't want to miss it. Even if you are not in the market for a new machine, you just have to take a look at how awesome the new Janome MC11000 is. I don't want to ruin all the excitement by telling you about it's features now, but this machine is really going to change the whole sewing machine and embroidery world. It is very amazing. We should have our MC11000 in the store by August 25, so plan to come by and let us show you this fine machine!
7/26/05 - We have now made our lesson plan and scheduled our first series of beginning sewing classes, to be taught by Aileen Woerth. We have scheduled the classes on Monday evenings so that more people would have a chance to take this class. Don't wait till the last minute to sign up, because class space is limited. Call the shop at (951) 694-9576 or see the Classes and Events for more details.
7/23/05 - What's new is that the website is getting a total makeover! If you haven't been here in a while, you will notice new pages, new banners, menu, pictures, graphics, etc. The site is still under construction, but I continue to work on this website as much as possible, and hope that it provides you with the information you need as our customer. Most of the old site pages are working, there's just a few new ones that haven't been completed. Please come back soon and see the finished site!